About Glen Burnie
Glen Burnie is part of Anne Arundel County and is located south of Baltimore Maryland. The county has about 580 square miles of which some 172 of these square miles is water. The county sets on the west end of the Chesapeake Bay and has many rivers and current changing creeks hollowing out its shoreline. The Chesapeake Bay is used for boating, fishing, swimming, and various other water sports, ocean going shipping, commercial fishing and seafood procurement. The bay also provides a sanctuary for wild ducks, geese, and non-game birds and other small animals Before receiving its official name Glen Burnie was first known as Tracey's Station and Myrtle after its first postmaster and one of his local tenants. Elias Glenn named his land Glennsburne that he later changed to Glennsbourne Farm. His descendents eventually renamed the property Glenburnie. In 1854, the property flourished into several thousand acres of land with the incorporation of the Curtis Creek Mining, Furnace and Manufacturing Company by his grandson William. This company thrived during the nineteenth century. In 1888, Glenburnie officially became a state subdivision and his heirs hired George Melvin and Henry Mancha to plot out and market the town. In 1930, a final name change was made by the current postmaster Louis DeAlba to Glen Burnie. In 1958 the Harundale Mall was constructed this was the first shopping center in the country. Before its inception, strip malls and freestanding stores were the only shopping choices available. The Harundale Mall was one of the first shopping centers referred to as a mall. The Harundale Mall was followed by the Glen Burnie mall in the early 1960's. The Marley Station Mall was opened in 1987 providing the city of Glen Burnie three large shopping centers.